Kutztown University (KU) traces its origins to the Fairview Seminary. In 1860, Henry R. Nicks opened Fairview Seminary as a select school where more advanced subjects than those offered in the area were taught. In 1864, Nicks opened a new Maxatawny Seminary on the site where KU's Old Main stands today. With growth, efforts were made to convert the seminary into a public state normal school. On September 15, 1866, Maxatawny Seminary officially became Keystone State Normal School (KSNS). KSNS was dedicated to preparing students for the teaching profession. With emphasis placed on student life and the school's Pennsylvania German heritage, this book tells the story of KU from its modest beginnings as a teacher training school to its current mission of providing high-quality education.